Sunday 9 June 2013

Making comfrey infused oil...

An Aunt of mine suffers from an itchy skin condition, primarily on her hands. She asked me if I could suggest or make a cream for it. Never one to shy away from a challenge I made a rich hand cream using comfrey oil as the main ingredient. Shea butter and beeswax made up the oils and at the end of the process I added a few drops of lavender and geranium essential oils.
This it seems has proved an absolute winner which isn't altogether surprising since comfrey (used externally) has anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties and makes a good oil for creams when used in conjunction with others.

Better still, we have a huge amount of comfrey growing beautifully at our allotment and this early growing period is the perfect time to harvest it so this morning before nine I was up, out and cutting...


...then weighing....


....chopping...


...noting...


...and finally simmering in sweet almond oil, in a bain marie....


Later I hope to bottle it and make some more nourishing and healing hand cream.
Watch this space!

3 hours later...


My recipe made just over half a pint of dark green, sumptuous-looking infused comfrey oil. Can't wait to try it in a hand cream!

Tuesday 11th June 2013

Here it is...


I created my recipe using safflower oil and shea butter as well as the comfrey oil. The safflower oil makes a lovely non-greasy cream that is easily absorbed. I added essential oils of lemongrass and lemon to the final mix to give it a light citrussy fragrance.







No comments:

Post a Comment